name: that girl in pink
location: Somewhere, India
my complete profile

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Saturday, October 08, 2005

A little bit of this, a little bit of that.

What a week it’s been! Work is in going on at top speed, have taken my 376th vow to quit, another roadie has been kicked off the show, brad and jen’s divorce finally came through, friends from out of town have dropped by, I helped a friend get freelance and then there have been the birthdays! Those storks must work their asses off in October!

Do you think parents purposely plan for their babies to be born around Mahatma Gandhi’s birthday, hoping some of his greatness rubs off on their kids? Either that or there must be something really special about the January air that gets so many couples working on producing a baby. Actually I like Librans, I just never seem to remember the exact date to be able to wish them and show how much I like them.

There is one birthday, however, I do remember and that is of my nephew Aryan. (God, it feels grown up admitting to the world you have a nephew. I’m an aunt! Aunty Pink. Pinky Aunty…oh horrors! What have I created here?!) So anyway, this morning I sent a birthday wish to Aryan via an e-mail to his mom’s i.d. It said, ‘Dear Aryan, Happy 1st Birthday. Have a great day etc…’ Now for some reason, my cousin (his uncle) was very tickled by the idea of addressing the mail to one year old Aryan. And he asked me to write a blog on how to wish a one year old.

That got me thinking as to what a birthday means to a one year old. Tried to tap back into my one year old brain but it’ll take some serious hypnosis to jog my memory back that far. All I remember about turning one is from the pictures we have of my first birthday party. And thank God the cake has a big one shaped candle on it to confirm that it was, after all my first birthday. I look three. Or maybe a very healthy two.

So that gets me back to the question, do one year olds even know it’s their birthday, a very special day? Since attention is showered on them in bucket loads by everybody everyday (you’ll be right in sensing some envy here.) I don’t think it’s even possible to make them feel extra important on their birthday.

Maybe putting party hats on their heads is a good indicator that something special is happening? Nah, I don’t think so. They wear cartoon-animal printed diapers and suck on pink and blue pacifiers (or like we Indians like to call them-nipples. Tee hee!) on a daily basis. I don’t think a colourful party hat is gonna be much of a conversation piece for a bunch of one year olds.

The excessive picture taking then? Hmm…after having their first step, first potty, first spit bubble, first sip on water, first hug, first time wearing winnie-the-pooh blue jumper, first time wearing pokemon green jumper, first smile while lying down, first smile while standing, first smile while sitting and facing right being photographed and kept for posterity I really doubt a camera clicking is going to flash too much of a light bulb in their little heads.

I think it’s time to change the rules. I think it’s time we started celebrating 1st delivery-day. The first anniversary of the day the mom, who carried and cared for the baby for 9 months, got together all her physical, mental and spiritual energy and gave birth to a healthy baby who brings joy to so many people.

So RJ, since I’ve already wished little Aryan on turning one, this one’s for you. Happy first birth-day to you.



----------

On a more athletic note, who has seen the new Hutch-Delhi half marathon commercial? I love it!! I love the way they’ve shown Delhi (meri dilli!), I love the narration and I absolutely, totally, completely adore Rajpal Yadav’s (Mungeri Lal, remember?) voice. Lovely lovely lovely! Can’t gush enough…
----------

One last question. Why is it that when we reach home from anywhere, the first thing we have to do is pee? Even if we went to the bathroom just before leaving the place we came from? Even if we have, cross-our-heart-hope-to-die swear, not touched a drink of water or any other beverage on the way? Even if it’s not too rainy or too cold? Why then, do we rush to the loo as soon as we get home?

Posted by that girl in pink  | 7:55 pm  |  5 comments  

5 Comments

at 11:31 am Anonymous Anonymous said...

true true true!

true about the winter baby boom.

touchingly true about the 1st delivery day concept.

and ohmygod so shockingly true about the pee rush!

neha.

 
at 10:51 am Blogger Vijayeta said...

Oh how i agree. I saw the pics of my 1st b'day and my only question was, "Where are all these presents? And what was in all those boxes?"
The Dilli marathon :(It breaks my heart. I so badly wanna go back. Its a brilliant concept! And extremely well-shot!
Oh, and I'm Libran too :D
But born on sep. 30. Missed the october rush by a day! Yippeeee!
I finally managed to link you to my fave list, and do read my bit on the Metrosexual Rabbit too!

 
at 2:05 am Blogger Vijayeta said...

Loved yr KBC-2 post! And glad to know u follow reality TV and do not dismiss it oh-so-cruelly! I'm so sure u can be the postergirl for KBC-2! And who knows, u might just win the 2 crores and even get to meet Abhishek Bachchan. In which case, i'd want an introduction!
And u follow Roadies too? A very close friend is currently slaving over edits on that show. He's one of the producers. All appreciation helps his tired, exhausted self to sustain till he gets to go home, once every 3 days to sleeeeeeeeep! And yes, a bit of insider info. The Apprentice is going to happen in India soon. As will The Bachelor and Temptation Island! Plan strategy now!
V

 
at 6:33 pm Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Pink,
Thanks so much for your wishes.. I had the same question all along - about who deserves to be celebrated..and it was touching to note that my favourite blogger has actually put up a fancy animation to make the point..
RJ

 
at 1:53 pm Anonymous Anonymous said...

the winter birthdays remind me of old joke -

why 14th nov is called children's day?
b'cos it comes exactly 9 months after valentine's day!


me sorry for commenting on old posts... can't help, just loving each one of these! :D

 

Post a Comment