name: that girl in pink
location: Somewhere, India
my complete profile

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Down with Music

Recently saw a re-mixed, re-released video of Alanis' "Hand in my Pocket" on TV. Reminded me of college when she'd just burst on the scene. The song was so identifiable then. Especially the part that went:

And what it all boils down to
Is that no one's really got it figured out just yet
I've got one hand in my pocket
And the other one is doing something or the other depending on the verse she was belting...

Anyway, I was 17 then and it was cute to have not figured out what to do with your life. No one knew what they what they wanted to be be or do. Hell, those were the days when things like 'dedicate life to dogs' or 'be CEO of major MNC' were both battling to be No. 1 on probable future careers. Both equally vague and improbable but optimistic anyway. Yeah baby, I had one hand in my pocket and the other was busy making plans for the future.

I'm nearly 27 now. And I've barely got one hand in my pocket, (thanks to v. tight jeans) and the other's just scratching my head wondering what the hell to do with myself. I've done college, done a post graduation and put 4 years of my life into a career that I'm having very serious doubts about. And along the way, the only thing I've figured out is that of the 11, George Clooney is my favourite and that I definitely prefer pizza to burgers. But besides that, I'm still where I was when I was 17! Without the rosy glow of youth and with a car loan to repay.
Alanis, you wily cow, why did I ever believe you when you said, "everything's gonna be quite alright"? Nothing's alright. Grrr. I'm writing about adolescent issues in my late 20s. Serves me right actually, falling for the word of a noveau hippie with unkempt hair and a distorted sense of self (Really, who comes naked in a video with a body like that?!). What did Alanis know? Look at her, 10 years later and what's her big accomplishment? Remixing and re-releasing an old hit.

Posted by that girl in pink  | 1:54 am  |  5 comments  

5 Comments

at 2:51 am Anonymous Anonymous said...

Revisiting Technorati's Blog Finder & Listing Issues
Gary Price wrote earlier of Technorati's new Technorati Blog Finder , along with some issues with the new beta service.
So you have a visitor coming your way. I read these things. :)
xenical

I'm waching blogs all day long and I found yours which is really nice :)


You are making good job!
Keep up the super articles!


I enjoy reading the stories on your site. Keep up the super articles!


Your site is very good!
Congratulations!

 
at 2:54 am Anonymous Anonymous said...

Making Springfield safe, one pink donut at a time
The September issue of Maxim declares Wiggum of The Simpsons as the greatest TV cop of all time.
This is a very informative blog! The stuffs you talked about are very enlightening.

Initial Public Offering ( IPO ) is also a topic that might be of interest to
your readers (well, I for one). I hope you can discuss Initial Public Offering ( IPO ) some other time.

More power and keep on blogging!

 
at 12:24 pm Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really dont know what the other guys are saying. They seem to be using your commercial space for advancing their commercial agendas. So girl... ignore them.. stay pink... and really stay pink. Your bhaiya is mighty proud of you.... the day he becomes rich, he will sponsor a million copies of your book... for he knows he will definitely be buying a million laughs.

 
at 3:11 pm Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously gurl, if I gave you 1 dollar for everytime you make me laugh, you would be rolling in money... or maybe rolling in the white sands of half moon bay, california. and then think about the number of times, I NEED to come back to this blog to reassure myself that I still retain my sense of humor... (remember you are still getting a dollar from me every time I laugh)... well that probably could take you to the moon and back, except that gas prices are going up by the minute and I am not getting any richer... actually like you I am in debt... and I havent yet figured out how to be rich tomorrow morning... so I guess I have to agree "Alanis, you wily cow..."

AFanOf...

 
at 12:56 pm Anonymous Anonymous said...

Babe, i agree with every word that 'AFanOf...' has written. Jesus, I miss hearing you say all that u've written in ur blogs in person.

You're wasting ur life in this damn agency of urs...just write a book - it'll repay ur car loan and mine : )

Sre..

 

Post a Comment